Ever since my reality check over the weekend (and before that), I’ve been googling like a madwoman to try and find possible leases for this year (hopefully the rest of high school actually!). So far I have a few possibilities which I will organize for my own sake and in case anyone has any input. I’m going to be completely honest and open with money and so forth to ensure I can weigh each option accurately.
In no particular order…
- Half lease Angel at Larkspur: lease fee (unsure right now, possibly $5,000/year), half of board ($700/month), half of farrier, lessons ($65/lesson)
- Half lease at Twin Bays Ruby: lease fee ($8,000/year), half board ($900/month), insurance ($62.50/month), lessons ($60/lesson)
- Half lease private horse, Nemo: board and farrier split with owner (anywhere between $350-$600/month), lessons (depend on trainer at Nemo’s barn)
- Half lease at WRC, Citi or Tucker: lease fee ($500/month), lessons ($55/lesson)
- Half lease (I think…) Sophie at Chester Hill: not sure of pricing yet for this one
Most of these options right now are WAY over budget. However, I’m waiting to hear back from Nemo’s owner as well as Chester Hill. I was very interested in WRC, but after visiting their barn today, I wasn’t that thrilled. I’m not crossing it off my list, but let’s just say that it is definitely important to do that initial visit of a barn after googling it. Despite the humble facilities, the two owners were very nice and I will probably take a lesson there soon to see how I like their instruction.
Nemo’s owner has been very sporadic with responding to me, but when I do get answers things sound pretty good. I might try and go see her this weekend if her owner ever responds…
I just discovered Chester Hill tonight while googling, and though it’s a bit further than I or my parents would like (30 min), it seems very promising. Plus, it’s halfway between my house and school (which is 45 min. away). I already started plotting the rest of my year, packing breeches in my backpack and driving straight from school to the barn…hehe 🙂 Anyway, they have some horses listed on their site available for lease and one of them is a green jumper named Sophie who looks adorable. Hopefully green also means not as expensive…?? haha
I get my cast off a week from today which is making me very antsy. I’m so eager to ride and figure a situation out for this year that every night when I finally lie down to sleep my brain is still running a million miles an hour!